Vanderbilt University School of
7159 Vanderbilt Medical Center East
7th Floor MCE 7159 37232
Models of Care
Long Term Care
Geriatric clinical care, education, and clinical demonstration projects. Geriatrics Fellowship Director and Associate Clinical Director, GRECC.
Accidental Falls; Frail Elderly; Geriatrics Education; Long Term Care; Malnutrition
Accidental Falls; Delirium; Dementia; Geriatric Consultation; Geriatric Syndromes; Hospital Care of Elderly; Interdisciplinary Patient Care Teams; Long Term Care; Patient Centered Medical Home
Educational and Service Contributions
Developed Acute Care for Elderly (VU), and Geriatric Evaluation and Management (VA) Units
and maintained these since 1987, serving as interdisciplinary training sites for trainees
Developed geriatrics program over 25 years impacting over 1400 trainees at VU
PI of Reynolds Geriatrics Education Program which supports medical school, residency, faculty, interdisciplinary, regional educational programs
Participant in medical school and Medicine Residency curriculum development with preceptorship, geriatrics, outpatient, home and community-based training programs
Developed Geriatric Fellowship Program 1999 with 16 fellows completed training,
Invited lecturer for hundreds of presentations, regionally, nationally, internationally
Developed Geriatrics and Extended Care Program for VISN 9 as AD/C Tennessee Valley GRECC, serving as a consultant for VA geriatric services development in TN, KY, WVa
Served on numerous Geriatric Quality Assurance Committees at VU/VA (Falls, Decubiti, Delirium, Dementia Care, Dysphagia, Restraint Reduction, Palliative Care, JCAHO, Root Cause Analysis for Patient on Patient Assaults, Peer Review Committee)
Reviewer, Studio Participant for new faculty projects related to geriatrics
Board membership local, state, national geriatrics societies (AGS, AMDA, GSA, TMA)
Board membership of regional non-profits facilitating Geriatric Care (Alzhiemera??s Association, Alive Hospice, Council on Aging, Tennessee Health Care Campaign)
Preceptor and Advisory Board Member VU Student Shade Tree Clinic since 2005
Chaired TennCare Pharmacy Advisory Committee 2003-2008, developing the first Medicaid formulary for Tennessee
Collaborator with the Vanderbilt-Meharry Alliance in developing the Geriatric Education Center
Tennessee Geriatric Society Clinician of the Year, 1991
American Geriatric Society Recognition Award, 1997-
Volunteer Award, Alzheimera??s Association of Middle Tennessee, 1997, 2002
Communication Services Award, Vanderbilt Dept. Speech Pathology, 1998
F. Tremaine Billings Teaching Award for Excellence in Teaching, VUMC, 2000
Mental Health Professional of the Year 2000, Mental Health Assn. Middle TN
American Red Cross - Seven gallon plus donor
Meharry Geriatric Education Center Support Award 2004
Area Agency on Aging and Disability, Excellence in Aging Award, 2007
Elizabeth Jacobs Distinguished Service Award, Nashville Council on Aging, 2008
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Award, Vanderbilt-Meharry Alliance, 2009
2009 Marsha Goodwin-Beck VA Interdisciplinary Award for Excellence in Geriatric
Clinical Care Delivery
Selected Publications (of 90)
1. Powers JS, Folk C, Collins JC, Burger MC, Wilson P, Stocking B. The Influence of Vitamin Supplements on Micronutrient Levels in Healthy Elderly Subjects. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 8:171-2; 1989
2. Powers JS, Collins JC, Lichtenstein MJ, Greene HL, Krantz SB, Buchholz T. Human Erythropoietin in Healthy Elderly. J. Am. Geriatric Soc. 37:388-9; 1989
3. Powers JS, Folk C, Collins JC, Burger MC, Wilson P, Stocking B. Nutritional Status in Non-Institutionalized Elderly. S. Med. J. 82:990-94; 1989
4. Powers JS, Krantz SB, Collins JC, Meurer K, Falilinger A, Buchholz T, Black M, Spivak JL, Hochberg M, Baer AN, Cotes PM, Goldwasser E. Erythropoietin Response to Anemia as a Function of Age. J Am Geriatr Soc, 39:30-32; 1991
5. Hauser B, Laubacher M, Robinson J, Powers JS. Evaluation of an Intermediate Care and Geriatric Unit in a VA Hospital. Southern Med J 84:597-602; 1991
6. Powers JS, Zimmer J, Collins JC, Meurer K, Greene HL. Direct Assay of Vitamins B-1, B-2 and B-6 in Hospitalized Patients: Relationship to Level of Intake JPEN 17:315-16, 1993
7. White S, Powers JS, Effectiveness of an Inpatient Geriatric Service in a University Hospital. J Tn Med Assoc 87:425-28; 1994
8. Powers JS, White S, Kidd K, Varnell L, Turvy C, Harrell D, Knight B, Floyd K, Zupko K.
An Autonomy Supportive Model of Geriatric Team Function. TN Med 93, 295-7;2000
9. Facilitated Feeding of Frail Elderly. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care 2002, 5: 315-319
10. Powers JS, Billings FT, German DJ, Introduction to the Patient: A Course of Instruction for First Year Medical Students. TN Med 98; 585-591, 2005
11. Edwards L, Powers JS, Medication Reconciliation in Inpatient Transfers in a
Veterans Administration Hospital Federal Practitioner 24:49-50, 53, 60, 2007
12. Waitman R, Habermann R, Powers JS, Harrell D,
Miller RA . Physician Response to Guided Geriatric Dosing: Initial Results from
A Randomized Trial. Med Informatics Proceedings, 12th World Congress on Medical Informatics Medinfo 12(Pt 2): 1037-1040, 2007
13. Denny JC, Powers JS, Spickard AS III, Miller RA. A Comparison of Three
Methods for Automatic Text Categorization for Geriatrics. AMIA 2007 Symposium Proceedings p. 931
14. Powers JS, Gordon S, Elgin, J. Non Pharmacologic Management of Disruptive
Behaviors in Dementia. Federal Practitioner 25:28-30, 39, 2008
19. Powers JS, Roberts LJ, Tarvin E, Hongu N, Choi L, Buchowski M. Oxidative
Stress and Multi-organ Failure in Hospitalized Elderly J Am Geriatr Soc 56:1150-
15. Cahall M, Jerome R, Powers J. The impact of a literature
consult service on geriatric clinical care and training
in falls prevention J of the Medical Library Assoc 96:2, 88-100, 2008
16. Powers JS, Choi L, Bitting R, Gupta N, Buchowski M. Distribution of Total Body
Water and Fluid Distribution in Critically Ill Elderly Patients. J Gerontology:
Medical Sciences 64A:6;664-669, 2009
17. Carlo M, Powers J. Ambulatory care sensitive emergency department use among low-cost medical home patients. TN Medicine 103: 31-33, 2010
18. Buchowski M, Simmons S, Whitaker L, Powers J, Beucher L, Choi L,
Ikizler, TA, Chen K, Schnelle J. Fatigability as a function of physical activity energy
expenditure in older adults. AGE (DOI 10.1007/s11357-011-9338-x)
19. Powers JS, Wang Li, Otoo-Boameh A, Buchowski M. Total body water in elderly patients a?? assessing hydration status by bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) vs. urine osmolality JAGS 2012:60;388-390
20. Solberg L, Porier P, Powers J. Geriatric Consults Offer Help, and Maybe Education JAGS 2012;60:993-994
21. Powers JS, Cahall M, Epelbaum M, Habermann R, Rosenstiel D, Giuse NG. Innovative Curricula: Incorporating Evidence into Clinical Teaching a?? Enhanced Geriatrics Specialty Case-Based Residency Presentations J Grad Med Ed 2012:4;83-86
Recent Funding History
D. W. Reynolds Foundation (PI) 7/1/2006-6/30/2010
Aging and Quality of Life Program
The major goal is to increase geriatric education throughout the medical community by incorporating geriatric issues into curriculum and patient evaluation. Informatics intensive project.
GRECC 7/8 VA Role a?? AD Clinical (Dittus PI) 10/1/99-9/30/133
Geriatric Education Center, 1D31HP08823-01-00 (Mouton PI) 7/1/1998-6/30/2014
NBME Stemmler Fund (Denney PI) 7/1/09-6/30/10
AMA Educational Grant for development of the Portal of Geriatric Online (Fabini PI) 10/1/09-5/31/10
Education (POGO-e) Evaluators Toolbox for Geriatric Education
T-21T Innovations in Long Term Care VA#10/11 0160B-2, VISN 9 (Powers PI) 2011-2012
TVHS GEM-PACT Model to Prevent Hospitalization and Institutional Care
Long Term Care, Geriatric Nutrition, Frail Elderly, Interdisciplinary Care, Palliative Care
Powers JS, Spickard A, DeRiemer S, Denny J. . Analysis of Pre-Clinical Student
Narratives- Progress in Assessment of ACGME Competencies . J Contemporary Medical Education, 1(1), 62-65, 2013.
Powers JS, Doering T, Gordon, Eden SK, Shintani A, Schnelle J. . Exploring the Utility of Ultra-Brief Delirium Assessments in a Nonintensive Care Geriatric Population: The GEM Study. The Gerontologist, , , 2012.
Powers JS, Spickard A, DeRiemer S, Denny J. . Analysis of Pre-Clinical Student Narratives- Progress in Assessment of ACGME Competencies. J Contemporary medical Education, , , 2012.
Powers JS, Wang Li, Otoo-Boameh A, Buchowski M. . Total body water in elderly patients a?? assessing hydration status by bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) vs. urine osmolality
. J of the Am Geriatr Soc, 60, 388-390, 2012.
Powers, JS, Heim, D, Grant, B, Rollins, J. Music therapy to promote movement from isolation to community in homeless veterans. Tenn Med, 105(1), 38-9, 2012.
Solberg L, Porier P, Powers J
. Geriatric Consults Offer Help, and Maybe Education . J Am Geriatr Society, 60(60), J993-994, 2012.
. Incorporating Evidence into Clinical Teaching a??
Enhanced Geriatrics Specialty Case-Based Residency Presentations
. J Grad Med Ed , 4, 83-86, 2012.
Powers, JS. Revitalizing primary care resident education with outpatient team-based care. Tenn Med, 104(8), 27-8, 2011.
Carlo, ME, Powers, JS. Ambulatory care sensitive emergency department use among low-cost medical home patients. Tenn Med, 103(1), 31-3, 2010.
Powers, JS, Choi, L, Bitting, R, Gupta, N, Buchowski, M. Rapid measurement of total body water to facilitate clinical decision making in hospitalized elderly patients. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 64(6), 664-9, 2009. PMCID:2800804
Powers JS, Gordon S, Elgin, J. . Non Pharmacologic Management of Disruptive Behaviors in Dementia
. Federal Practitioner , 25, 28-30, 39, 2008.
Powers JS, Roberts LJ, Tarvin E, Hongu N, Choi L, Buchowski M. . Oxidative Stress and Multi-organ Failure in Hospitalized Elderly
. J Am Geriatr Soc, 56, 1150-1152 , 2008.
Powers, JS, German, D, Billings, FT. Introduction to the patient: a course for first-year medical students. Tenn Med, 98(12), 585-7, 591, 2005. PMCID:2800804
Powers, James S. Facilitated feeding in disabled elderly. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care, 5(3), 315-9, 2002.
Powers, J S, White, S, Varnell, L, Turvy, C, Kidd, K, Harrell, D, Knight, B, Floyd, K, Zupko, K. An autonomy supportive model of geriatric team function. Tenn Med, 93(8), 295-7, 2000.
Powers, JS. New program development in academic medical centers: the story of geriatrics in Tennessee. Tenn Med, 93(8), 293-4, 2000. PMCID:2800804
Powers, J S, White, S J. Integrating an acute geriatric teaching service with a general medicine program in a university hospital. J Tenn Med Assoc, 88(10), 383-5, 1995.
White, S J, Powers, J S, Knight, J R, Harrell, D, Varnell, L, Vaughn, C, Brawner, D, Burger, M C. Effectiveness of an inpatient geriatric service in a university hospital. J Tenn Med Assoc, 87(10), 425-8, 1994.
McEllistrum, MC, Collins, JC, Powers, JS. Admission serum albumin level as a predictor of outcome among geriatric patients. South Med J, 86(12), 1360-1, 1993. PMCID:2800804
Powers, JS, Zimmer, J, Meurer, K, Manske, E, Collins, JC, Greene, HL. Direct assay of vitamins B1, B2, and B6 in hospitalized patients: relationship to level of intake. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr, 17(4), 315-6, 1993. PMCID:2800804
Powers, JS, Folk, MC. Nutritional concerns in the elderly. South Med J, 85(11), 1107-12, 1992. PMCID:2800804
Powers, J S, Krantz, S B, Collins, J C, Meurer, K, Failinger, A, Buchholz, T, Blank, M, Spivak, J L, Hochberg, M, Baer, A. Erythropoietin response to anemia as a function of age. J Am Geriatr Soc, 39(1), 30-2, 1991.
Powers, JS. Helping family and patients decide between home care and nursing home care. South Med J, 82(6), 723-6, 1989. PMCID:2800804
Powers, JS, Folk, MC, Burger, C, Wilson, P, Stocking, BJ, Collins, J. Assessment of nutritional status in noninstitutionalized elderly. South Med J, 82(8), 990-4, 1989. PMCID:2800804
Powers, JS, Billings, FT, Behrendt, D, Burger, MC. Antecedent factors in urinary tract infections among nursing home patients. South Med J, 81(6), 734-5, 1988. PMCID:2800804
Powers, J S, Burger, C, Manian, F A, Kuhn, K, Lichtenstein, M J, Billings, F T. A teaching nursing home: the Vanderbilt experience. South Med J, 79(3), 267-71, 1986.
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Copyright © 2008 Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
The office of Biomedical Research Education & Training All rights reserved.
For questions or problems concerning this page, please submit a help ticket.